Frequently Asked Questions




 What scholarships are offered by Graduate Women Victoria?

See GWV scholarship list 2023 for a list of scholarships to be offered in 2023.

Note that our scholarship offerings may change from year to year.  The program for awards in any year will normally be announced on this website in the preceding December.


Am I eligible to apply for any of these scholarships or bursaries?

You may be eligible to apply if you:

  • Identify as a woman or as non-binary
  • Are enrolled at a Victorian university or at a Victorian campus of the Australian Catholic University on 31 March in the year of application
  • Are an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Are experiencing or have experienced disadvantage in the pursuit of your studies
  • Have not previously won a scholarship or bursary in the category in which you are now applying

Other eligibility requirements, if any, are set out in the Application form for each category of scholarship.

Which universities are meant by ‘Victorian universities’?

  • Deakin University
  • Federation University
  • La Trobe University
  • Monash University
  • RMIT University
  • Swinburne University
  • University of Melbourne
  • Victoria University
  • Australian Catholic University (Victorian campuses)

I do not live in Victoria,  but I am enrolled online in a Masters degree in Education in a Victorian university. Am I eligible to apply?

Yes, online students are eligible if they meet the other criteria.

Does Graduate Women Victoria offer scholarships for undergraduate study?

Most GWV scholarships are for postgraduate study or research. There are two scholarships for undergraduates: the Marilyn Godley scholarship for an Indigenous female student and the Taines Scholarship for honours students in Arts or Humanities.

I am enrolled in a Masters degree in primary education – am I eligible for these awards?


I am enrolled in course units which if completed successfully will lead directly into further units towards a Masters Coursework degree.  Am I eligible to apply for a scholarship in the Masters Coursework category this year or should I wait until I have completed those units which would make me eligible for the award of Bachelor degree? 

To apply, you need to have successfully completed all those units which would qualify you for the award of a Bachelor degree.

I am enrolled for a one-year professional  Masters degree. Am  I eligible for the scholarships and bursaries in that category?


What kinds of disadvantage are recognised?

Applicants must demonstrate to the satisfaction of Graduate Women Victoria that they are or have been disadvantaged in the pursuit of their studies. Disadvantage may include:

  • Financial difficulty or low income
  • English as a second language
  • Migrant or refugee status
  • Disability or medical condition
  • Family/caring responsibilities
  • Geographical isolation/significant distance from campus
  • Family crisis or difficult family environment
  • Career/ Study disruption
  • Other difficult circumstances

Do I have to be a member of Graduate Women Victoria in order to apply for these scholarships and bursaries?

No, you do not need to be a member of the Graduate Women Victoria to apply for our scholarships and bursaries. 

May I apply for two scholarships?

Normally,  you may only apply for one scholarship a year, although you may apply again in subsequent years. (Note that if you are enrolled in a Masters of Education/Teaching or equivalent, you should apply only in the Education scholarship category). Where multiple awards are offered within a category, you remain eligible for any appropriate award even if you have nominated for a specific one.

If I have other scholarships or awards, may I apply for one of Graduate Women Victoria scholarships?

Yes, you may apply if you have other awards and/or scholarships, but you will be asked to include information about other scholarships in your application.

Do I have to state what the scholarship money will be spent on?

Not directly, but the expectation is that the money will be spent to assist you in your studies.

Does Graduate Women Victoria offer grants for travel?

Graduate Women Victoria does not offer any grants for travel but there is no reason why a winner could not spend some of the monies received on travel to conferences or field trips relevant to the project/program for which they have sought support.

Where can I find out about similar scholarships?

Scholarships are also awarded by state and territory associations of women graduates similar to Graduate Women Victoria. See

For scholarships offered by Graduate Women International and other associations affiliated with that organisation, see Graduate Women International.


Applying for a Scholarship (with link for online registration and applications)

 How do I apply?

All applicants must apply online at

Please note:

  • You must first register/login with a username and password to begin your application.
  • You may save your work and exit at any time if you have not completed your application.
  • You can return to your application by using the same login once you are registered.
  • You will not be able to submit your application until you have completed all the required steps including uploading documents.
  • Once submitted, an application cannot be changed.
  • Two or three days after submitting, check with your referees that they have received the email requesting a reference for you.

 What is the application deadline?
Applications must be submitted online by midnight on 31 March.

Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.

Is there an administration fee?

Applicants are not required to pay an administration fee.

What do I need to send with the application?

The items which must be uploaded with your application are described in the information provided for each category of scholarship. Note that hard copy documents should be scanned and saved in pdf format ready for uploading.

Note also that photographs of documents are not suitable for uploading as they are usually not sufficiently legible.

What kind of document is accepted as proof of enrolment?

Note that a copy of your student card or letter of offer is not sufficient evidence of enrolment.  Your university will supply you with a document showing receipt of fees and specific details of units and course.

What academic transcripts do I need to include?

Include scanned pdf copies of transcripts in English of all completed or partially completed studies at university anywhere in the world or – where applicable – transcripts from other tertiary studies or secondary school results. Include academic results in current course (if applicable).

A scanned pdf copy of an Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS) is also acceptable.

What is an Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement (AHEGS)?

The AHEGS provides a description of the nature, level, context and status of studies completed. It is only issued on completion of an award, so differs from an academic transcript which can be issued at various stages of your program. Its purpose is to assist in recognition of Australian qualifications, and promote international mobility and professional recognition of graduates.

The university you graduated from may be able to provide you with an AHEGS if you are a recent graduate.

What evidence of disadvantage do I need to supply?

You will be asked during the application process to upload documents demonstrating your disadvantage.  These should be no more than 6 pages, scanned (pdf) copies of the original documents.

What should I include in my personal impact statement?

Your personal impact statement should explain the nature of your disadvantage and the effect it has had on your study. Examples of personal impact statements and documentation are given below.


‘During my secondary schooling, I acquired a chronic medical condition which requires that I spend a day in hospital once a month having a blood transfusion. I also experience fatigue and other symptoms, especially in the week before the transfusion. I have to miss classes for the transfusion and at other times if I am unwell. I find it difficult to submit assignments on time. My condition is stable, but is unlikely to improve much in the future. I am only able to work part time in the vacation and rely on my Centrelink benefit for support. I live at home with my mother and I pay board from my Centrelink benefit.’

Jane uploads a copy of her Centrelink card and a letter from the Disability Liaison Officer at her university to her application.


‘I am a single parent with two children, aged 4 and 2. I have to pay for child care when I attend university as I do not have any family close by. I rely mainly on my Centrelink benefit for financial support, as the father of my children is reluctant to pay child support. The children require constant care and supervision, so I can only study at night when they are in bed.’

Mary uploads a copy of her Centrelink card and the invoice from the child care centre to her application.


‘I am supported by my husband who has a PhD scholarship after completing his undergraduate studies part-time. We migrated from another country 10 years ago and have achieved Australian citizenship. My first language was not English and I learned English only when I arrived in Australia. I still struggle with writing academic English for my assignments. I work part time as a casual cleaner, but it is difficult to find enough money to pay for the materials for my art course after we have paid for rent and bills etc.’

Lee uploads copies of her own and her husband’s income tax assessments and of her certificate of Australian citizenship.


‘I live two hours’ drive from the university where I am enrolled, so it is time-consuming and expensive for me to travel to meet with my supervisor and undertake research in the library for my thesis. I live with my mother, who is suffering from a chronic medical condition and I am responsible for her care at night. It is therefore difficult for me to carry out my research program and I may have to revert to part-time enrolment, which would lengthen the time taken to complete my thesis.’

Anne uploads a letter from her mother’s doctor indicating her responsibilities for her care. Her address on the application form and university documents gives evidence of geographical isolation.

What do I need to do about referees’ reports?

You will be asked to provide the names, positions and email addresses of two referees who have agreed to be a referee for this application.  

For most scholarships, two academic references are required. For the Marilyn Godley Scholarship for an Indigenous Undergraduate, one reference must be from a member of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community and one from an academic teacher.  You may wish to contact the Aboriginal Liaison Office or equivalent at your university. If you have Irecently returnempleted and submitted to study after an interval, one employment reference and one academic reference will be acceptable.

Before submitting your application, please provide each referee with the GWV Information for Referees.

When you have completed and submitted your applicaton, referees will be emailed a request with a link to upload a confidential reference. University firewalls often prevent deliveryof this message. Three days after submission, please check with your referee that the request has been received. If not, ask your refereree to let us know by email to

Can I edit my application once I have submitted it on the website?

No, once the application is submitted, no further changes can be made.   However, until you actually submit, you can save your work, exit and return as often as you like.  


Awarding the Scholarships

How are the winners decided?

Applications are assessed by panels of academic examiners who recommend the winners on the basis of academic achievement and potential, balanced against the disadvantages experienced.

When will I know the outcome of my application?

Successful applicants will be advised by late May or early June. Other applicants will receive an email to their given email address by early June.

Will all scholarships/bursaries advertised be awarded?

Graduate Women Victoria reserves the right not to make any of the awards advertised on this website. It is anticipated, however, that all scholarships and bursaries advertised will be awarded unless exceptional circumstances apply.

Can I request the reason why I was not awarded a scholarship?

No.  All decisions are final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.

How are the scholarships presented to the winners?

Each winner will be presented with a certificate at a ceremony held on Scholarship Day, normally on a Saturday in early June. It is a requirement of accepting an  award that winners attend and make a brief presentation about their studies and careers.  The audience includes family members, donors and representatives of the universities where winners study.  Payment of the award will be made directly to each winner’s bank account via the Australian Communities Foundation.

Funding the Scholarships

How is money raised  for the scholarships and  bursaries?

Graduate Women Victoria scholarships and bursaries are funded from generous bequests and donations from members and friends to a fund first established in 1920.  Our funds are held in trust by the Australian Communities Foundation.

To learn about the ACF, use the link above, but to make a tax-deductible donation now to the Graduate Women Victoria Scholarship sub-fund follow the instructions at GWV-scholarship-donation-form-2021,


My question is not answered here, where can I get assistance? 

First, it is essential that you read carefully all the information on this website including the instructions for the scholarship you are interested in.

You will also find it helpful to attend the Grant and Application Workshops led by GWV Committee member Dr Barbara Murray  to assist students with applications for scholarships and grants. The information given at these workshops is applicable to scholarships other than those offered by Graduate Women Victoria.

The workshops will be announced on the website early in 2023. Instructions for booking will be given at that time.

 If you still need assistance, you may email  Include the name of the scholarship you are applying for in your email.

Please note: Graduate Women Victoria Scholarship program is run by volunteers.

We will answer any queries as quickly as possible.